I know it’s cold out… really cold out. It’s also the perfect time to start thinking about the Spring market. Personally I think the 2016 Spring market is going to be one of the most important and exciting times we have see in awhile. Here are a list of tips and ideas to get most out of the Spring market!
- Price it Right – I put this as number one of purpose. A sharp and competitive listing price can make or break your listing. If you go too high, then the listing will stay on the market and get that old smell. If you price it right, and let healthy competition take over it will always lead to good things.
- Cut the Clutter – Especially in closets. Yes, buyers snoop in closets to see how much space. Everyone is looking for more storage than they currently have. Try taking a few things out of your closet to give the illusion of more storage is available. I mean, who doesn’t like a clean closet?
- They Judge EVERYTHING – Remember the showing starts as soon as they get out of the car. Keep in mind that the outside can be just as important because it’s the first impression. I know if you live in a condo you’re limited to what you can do. If you have a front yard, keep it neat and trimmed. Maybe toss out a nice potted flower. IF you do live in a condo, maybe a nice mat and make sure your front door is clean. Please, please make sure there isn’t stacks of papers or mail in the entry way!
- Pack Your Pet – No, don’t put them in a box and put them in the garage. Not everyone is a fan of man’s best friend. Make sure to remove the litter box or food dishes before showings. We want to set a neutral atmosphere that is safe and welcoming to everyone. It will help with the smell, as well.
- Clean those windows – When I show a listing, I turn on all the lights and open all the windows. If the buyer can’t see the street because of all the dirt, it will put them off. If you can’t get to all of them, consider hiring a professional to make it sparkle.
- Kitchen Kitchen Kitchen – Yes, what they say is true for the most part. People don’t purchase a home; they purchase a kitchen. Clear the counters, organize the pots and pans, organize the refrigerator (yes, they will look at your food) and take the magnets off the refrigerator. It makes a huge difference.
In any market you want to stand out. By taking a few and mostly simple tips you can jump to the head of the class! Of course, you can contact your friendly neighborhood real estate broker (that’s me!) for more information.
-joshua t. novy